Tuesday 21 October 2014

Brainstorm of chosen genre R&B



After researching several music genres I have decided I will base my music video and digipak on the R&B music genre. I have created a brainstorm of artists that are in the R&B genre and the stereotypes of the R&B genre. I researched and looked at artists who would be similar to my artist research. I have looked and researched on the artists Ciara, Beyoncé and Rihanna.


Ciara is a very well known R&B artist however she is more versatile and different to Beyoncé as she challenges the codes and conventions of an female R&B artists, this can be seen in her music video  “Like a boy” as she is dresses as boy in tracksuit bottoms and a male vest top. Whereas Beyoncé is your more stereotypical R&B female artist as she is highly sexualized which can be seen in her music videos. She also wears a lot revealing clothing so that she can appear attractive and appeal to her audience especially males. Similarly Rihanna is also portrayed the same as Beyoncé as she to is also a very sexualized in the R&B music genre, as she is also in proactive clothing and always viewed through the “Male Gaze”.

Furthermore, a lot of female R&B artist are portrayed through the “Male Gaze” this done so they can reach to their male fans as they are meant to be viewed as objects of desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment